I never imagined I would be giving some props to Mickey D’s, but I received the following article from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation late last month. Here’s the story, McDonald’s has agreed to partner with the Alliance to do the following:
“The commitment is built around a comprehensive plan to increase access to fruits and vegetables and create a marketing strategy that inspires children and families to make healthier choices.
McDonald’s has specifically committed to:
- All customers can substitute a side salad, fruit, or vegetable as a substitute for French fries in value meals
The commitment also includes the following related to the promotion and advertising of Happy Meals:
- Only promote and market water, milk, and juice as beverages in Happy Meals on menu boards and in-store and external advertising
- Utilize Happy Meal and other packaging innovations and designs to generate excitement for fruit, vegetable, low/reduced-fat dairy, or water options for kids
- Dedicate Happy Meal box or bag panels to communicate a fun nutrition or children’s well-being message
- Ensure 100 percent of all advertising directed to children will include a fun nutrition or children’s well-being message”
Good news to pass along my people!